CONDUCTOR SCHOOL with JAN COBER
In the school year 2015/2016 the Slovenian Association of Wind Bands starts with the first and second semester of conducting school under the direction of Jan Cober (second semester) and Miro Saje (first semester). Both semesters are held in four three days terms and are separated by conductor work and music compositions understanding. All participants will have the opportunity to work both with two conductors as well as the orchestra. Jan Cober runs four terms which are organized with a professional and school Wind Orchestra. Every term will have its own Theme. The first date is in October 2015.
26. -28. 10 2015
18. -20. 01 2016
22. -24. 03 2016
06. -08. 06 2016
1st Theme: The Vocal - aspects in the Windmusic.
- The voice was the model, the example, to create of a wind instrument in the history. Today we still have similar aspects like:
- Phrasing; breathing; horizontal way of thinking;
- Lyrical elements and an expressive feeling.
We are going to ask ourselves - Is there a way to play like a singer?
- What makes Band conducting different from Choir conducting?
- Is the gesture different or /and in which way?
- And what kind of repertoire do we need to educate our musicians?
- Are there good works for Windband to play in the vocal way?
The repertoire for the 1st Theme will be:
Richard Strauss, transcr. Christiaan Janssen: CAPRICCIO
Percy Grainger: CHILDRENS MARCH
Vaughan Williams: NORTHFOLK RHAPSODY nr.1
Richard Wagner: ELSA’s PROCESSION TO THE CATHEDRAL from Lohengrin
2nd Theme: The always during conflict: Functionality or Illustration.
We are going to understand the most important function of the conductor:
- A choice, an opinion or intuition?
- What makes the difference in the gesture.
- How to find the way to develop yourself as a conductor?
- Which qualities do you need?
- The character of the music and the ,,different“ feeling of the conductor?
- Can you believe in music which is not your taste?
The repertoire for the 2nd Theme will be:
Percy Grainger: LINCOLNSHIRE POSEY
Ferrer Ferran: JUNGLA, Poema Ambientado en la Selva Africana
A] The band as an instrument.
B] Analysing the reflection of the band.
Your instrument is a material which you can influence directly in playing. A band is also an instrument - but is it human, has its own personality?
We are going to discuss what needs the conductor, to play as a good as musicians?
- We will see how to find the difference and the similar aspects between conductor and musicians.
- At which moment takes the band over the function of the conductor or the conductor will be over the instrumentalist?
- What means the difference of activity or passivity in the gesture.
The repertoire for the 3rd Theme will be:
David Maslanka: A CHILD GARDEN OF DREAMS
John Mackey: HUMOR IN MUSIC
Deep Purple, transcr. Erik Somers: DEEP PURPLE
4th Theme: Percussion and music in percussive way.
We are going to know more about:
- The world of Percussion, which is actually in great development.
- New Instruments and new sounds against the traditional Instruments.
- How to manage this by the Conductor?
- What are the possibilities and typical aspects of playing such music?
- The actual compositions for band are very often ,,percussive”.
- A lot of Rhythm and an aggressive way of playing.
- Which repertoire is useful and what is the function of the Conductor?
The repertoire for the 4th Theme will be:
Amando Blanquer Ponsoda: ENTORNOS
E. Krause: UN DIA DE LA VIDA MEXICANO
Alberto Ginestera: DANZAS DEL BALLET ESTANCIA
The lessons are in English and German language (the teacher came from Netherland) performed by experienced personnel and ends with an exam.
The following theme are taught:
• Individual instruction for orchestra and conducting
• Orchestra Conductor
• Instrumental customer
• Music Theory
• Music Literature
Jan Cober (1951) studied clarinet and conducting at the Conservatory of Maastricht. He was leading clarinettist with the Radio Symphony Orchestra and the “Residential orchestra” of The Hague. He conducted many -including symphonic- orchestras. Jan Cober has played a crucial role in the Dutch- and international wind music of the past decades. He did so in advisory and stimulating functions such as adviser to SAMO Netherlands (“Samenwerkende Amateur Muziek Organisaties” – “Cooperating Amateur Music Organisations”) and being conductor for fourteen years of the National Youth Wind Orchestra. From 1976 onwards Mister Cober was a teacher at the conservatories of Maastricht, Tilburg and Utrecht and has since then educated generations of young musicians. In his role as chief conductor of the Koninklijke Harmonie van Thorn (de “bokken”, 1984-2004) and the Koninklijke Harmonie Sainte Cécile Eijsden he was and is still stimulating innovation in wind music repertoire. Nowadays Mr.Cober is a lecturer at the European Training Institute for conductors in Trento (Italy), gives master classes and workshops worldwide and appears regularly as a guest conductor.
Until recently Jan Cober was chief conductor of the Rundfunk Blasorchester ( RBO) at Leipzig and artistic director of the Bläserakademie Sachsen. He performs regularly as a guest conductor with the RBO at Leipzig and the symphonic wind orchestra Schweizer Armee Spiel from Switzerland. Mr. Cober has been the conductor and artistic director of Koninklijke Harmonie Sainte Cécile since 1995. Under his leadership Sainte Cécile became the winner of the WMC in Kerkrade in 2009. In 2007 he won the Open Dutch Championships with Sainte Cécile (mini World Music Contest). Moreover Mr.Cober and Sainte Cécile were Dutch champions in the Concert Division, the highest concert level within the “Bond van Muziekgezelschappen in Nederland” (the Association of Music Ensembles in Holland).
The cost per semester.
FEE (including VAT) - for all dates:
€ 610 (aktiv)
€ 305 (passiv)
€ 800 (aktiv)
€ 400 (passiv)
Registration fee does not cover the cost of transportation, accommodation and meals during each appointment.
It is possible to pay in two parts. The first part should be paid by the beginning of the school year, the second till February 2016.
Application deadline is 01/10/2015. Send your application to Zveza slovenskih godb, Gerbičeva ulica 19, 1380 Cerknica and email@example.com
At the end of the school year, the candidate will conduct a practical test and receive a diploma.